Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Cake!


Some of my family and I love to read the Jan Karon Mitford Series - it's basically the evolving story of a small town preacher, his life, and the lives of those around him. It's very entertaining and always very funny. One of the revolving themes in the book is the food - what people bring to the potlucks, what the reverend himself cooks, etc. One of the most famous dishes in the series is Esther's Orange Marmalade cake - it's always chalked up as one of the most decadent cakes ever and typically gets the reverend (a diabetic) in lots of trouble. After she began the series, the author was getting tons of requests for the recipes, so she decided to put together a cookbook which I was fortunate enough to receive as a gift from my father-in-law a few years ago. I immediately looked up the cake recipe and wanted to make it, but it's one of those absolutely from scratch, lots of ingredients, triple-sifting types of recipes and I just kept putting it off. Well, this year for my birthday, I decided to try it out. I didn't get it done by my birthday, but I did finish it up on Sunday - AMAZING!!!! The recipe is lengthy, so if you want a copy, send me an email or post a comment and I'll get it to you. Until then...let your mouth water away!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing! Please make me a copy! Very domestic! ;)

John Mazanis said...

Oh my gosh! I actually listened to one of those books on tape so I know exactly what you're talking about. And I really liked it. I didn't know it was a series. Now I am going to have to find the other ones. And that cake looks delicious. :) I definetly want the recipe, please!!

Brandie Lyon said...

Yummy! I'll just wait til I see you again and let you make it for us, K?

Jude and Ashley said...

Mmmmmmmm! That looks so good! Hope you had a great birthday!

Becki said...

This post just made my mouth water! I'm sure youenjoyed this!

Sandy said...

What a great story. I want to read it and I definitely want to make the cake!!

here is my new blog address:

http://sweetdixieland.blogspot.com/