Tuesday, January 6, 2009

YUCK!

Okay, so while this pregnancy has been anything but easy, I was hoping I would catch at least a little bit of a break when it came to my glucose-tolerance test at this morning's 24-week appointment. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. I failed the one hour preliminary test, and failed it pretty bad. That, coupled with the fact that my doctor is pretty sure I had undiagnosed gestational diabetes with Jack (he was over 8 pounds and had a broken clavicle) led her straight to a diagnosis this time. She's not even bothering to send me for the 3-hour test - at least that part is good. So now, I'll go next week to a diabetes education class where they will give me a schedule for the four readings I'll have to take every day and instruction on insulin administration if Dr. Callison determines that I need it. She says I'm doing everything possible to prevent having a big baby this time - decent diet, exercise, low weight gain and high iron numbers - still I measured 28 1/2 weeks when I should have been measuring 24 - ugh! I think it's a good thing they took my blood pressure at the beginning of the appointment and not at the end! Still, I'm thankful that overall, my little girl is healthy and strong (Aaron felt her kicks very clearly last night!) and that Heavenly Father has chosen to bless our family with her little spirit. Now if we just get her here under eight pounds, I'll be ecstatic!

6 comments:

Cari said...

That totally stinks! But, like you said, getting her here healthy is the most important thing. You can endure just about anything for a precious baby. Makes me very thankful for my 6 pounder!

Marc and Wendi Tumminello said...

Mandy,

It is doable!!! I had gestational diabetes with Luke that I was able to control with diet--a very strict diet!! It wasn't fun to watch other people eat all of those wonderful carbs, but it did help me keep off some extra weight. Luckily, there are some good low carb diet foods out there with South beach and Atkins being popular. Dreamfield pasta (from walmart) is a good alternative and even Marc ate it, so it must taste okay. Eggs, peanut butter, whole grains. It's not sooo bad. I hope you don't have to do insulin.

Can't wait to meet Ellie!!

Wendi

Beth said...

That does stink, but think of the positive, you'll gain even less weight now with the diet! I can't wait to see your sweet little girl!

Clarissa said...

You go to Callison too?! I was referred by Carly and Ashley and absolutely LOVE her!! I hate that about the gestational diabetes but your right, at least there was no 3 hour glucose test! Yuck!

Becki said...

Hope everything goes well! Does that go away after pregnancy? I really don't think I realized how good I had with my last pregnancy. Hearing about yours makes me feel like maybe I complained a little too much. Hang in there!

Dawn, said...

I tested borderline with Christian and had to be tested and retested. I stayed on that very fine line through the whole pregnancy. Had to be good, boring!!! Hopefully things will go smoothly for you once you get more info!